New exparte from Adrian Smith, Ignition Partnership

cgloki cgloki

New exparte from Adrian Smith, Ignition Partnership

Re: Terrestrial Low Power Service; IB Docket No. 13-213
Dear Chairman Wheeler:
As you know, I cunently serve as partner at Ignition Partners, a venture capital fund and have had a successful history investing in telecommunications and mobile technology companies. Throughout my career, I have focused on identifying and helping build businesses in the communications space with emerging and disruptive technologies. In addition, I spent my earlier career in communications technology which included positions at British Telecom Research Laboratories, Nextlink, AT&T Wireless and McCaw Cellular Communication.
I have been following the Globalstar Terrestrial Low Power Service ("TLPS") proceeding with much interest and write to request that you move forward to adopt the rules proposed by yow· Commission in 2013. Spectrum is the lifeblood of any wireless service, and as consumers continue to shift their preferences to mobile broadband connectivity, new sources of spectrum must be found not only to satisfy the demand we can project today but also enable new technologies to keep up and potentially accelerate the pace of wireless innovation.
New entrants into any competitive sector of the communications industry are typically vital to the pace of development while slower moving incumbents attempt to limit available offerings and prevent anything truly innovative or disruptive like TLPS. We see the same thing happening by incumbents attempting to "commoditize" unlicensed offerings. In a world of limited spectrum supply, operators on existing useable bands will likely only provide increased resistance to efforts to free up spectrum for its highest and best use. With TLPS, situated at the edge of a critical band in 2.4 GHz which has been the backbone of the nation's and the world's wireless operations, we can benefit from an operator actively pushing to use its spectrum more intensively for terrestrial broadband. This is exactly the type of policy the Commission should be setting.
cgloki cgloki

Re: New exparte from Adrian Smith, Ignition Partnership

from zxqwertas
"about the author:
Adrian is a Partner at Ignition. Adrian invests in telecommunications and mobile companies and represented Ignition as a director on the board of Twisted Pair Solutions (acquired by Motorola Solutions, Inc.) and was an observer on the board of mFoundry (acquired by FIS). Adrian also represented Ignition on the board of Melodeo (acquired by HP) and was the shareholder representative for Swype (acquired by Nuance).

Prior to Ignition, Adrian spent 12 years in leading technology roles at Nextlink, AT&T Wireless, McCaw Cellular Communication and British Telecom Research Laboratories. Adrian’s responsibilities have included the radio architecture and evolution of the LMDS broadband fixed wireless technology, the browser transport mechanism for integrated cellular voice and data solutions and the TDMA air interface design and specification.

Adrian joined British Telecom Research Laboratories in the UK in 1989 and worked on the ETSI standards for the Digital European Cordless Telecommunication (DECT) technology, developing DECT testbeds for voice, data and wireless video applications.

Adrian is the author of a number of patents associated with cellular technology as well as co-author of the book “IS-136 TDMA Technology, Economics and Services.”
Mxsailor Mxsailor

Re: New exparte from Adrian Smith, Ignition Partnership

And this makes Greg  Gerst look like the chump he is. Better get that bottle of Sake-Tume out of the kitchen cabinet, Greggy boy!